Monday, October 12, 2009

Abu Dhabi to Bahrain

I arrived promptly at 1:00 for my 2:55 flight from Abu Dhabi to Bahrain, congratulating myself on selecting the earlier flight rather than the 5:15 flight since Abu Dhabi turned out to be the Fort Lauderdale of the Middle East. Unfortunately, my flight had been at 2:55 AM. (If it had been 2:55 PM, it would have been listed as 14:55 the gate agent said INCREDIBLY CONDESCENDINGLY AND UNHELPFULLY. So I paid the change fee and waited for the bloody 5:15 flight.


On the ride to the resort, a tinny, New Age CD was playing. I asked the driver if it was traditional Bahraini music. He said, “no, its the resort’s CD.” “Doesn’t is drive you crazy?” I asked. “Actually, yeah. Sometimes. Over and over and ....” his quiet voice trailed off. Then a sign indicated we were only 5 miles from the border of Saudi Arabia. Hmmm. Should have checked a map.


Now, I’m in my private pool villa overlooking the Al Areen Nature Reserve at the Banyan Tree resort in Bahrain. The villa is set in my very own a walled open-air courtyard. Inside, there’s a jacuzzi, romantically-lit bedroom with a bigger than-king-size bed covered with rose petals, and a bottle of champagne on ice. I wish you were here, person I haven’t met yet. The decor is pure Arabian opulence - high ceilings, gilded arches. Serenity now.

No comments:

Post a Comment